Saturday, July 21, 2012

My birthday is in 2 weeks-I have an offer/challenge for you

Originally posted 4-30-2012


May 16th is my birthday.  I'm already planning a birthday party to be held at my house.  As usual, I'm asking people to not bring me presents.  I am rich in love, friends, family, and happiness.  I don't need anything else.  However, others are not so fortunate.  Anyone who's known me more than 10 minutes knows of my deep affinity for animals.  While not bat-shit crazy about it like PETA members, or anything like that, I am an animal rights activist and animal rescuer/foster home.  So, what I usually do for my birthday, is ask those of my friends who were planning  to buy me a present instead bring something to me that I can donate to my favorite animal shelter, the Arizona Animal Welfare League.  This is the no-kill shelter that I adopted my wonderful cat, Patches, and my awesomest-dog-in-the-world Jezebel from.  To say this organization holds a special place in my heart is an understatement.  They are privately run, and rely solely upon donations to keep going. I'm down there myself dropping things off at least a couple of times a month. It makes me feel good to give back, and gives me the perfect excuse to hand out dog biscuits like they're going out of style and play with every kitten on the premises.


So here's my offer: for the ENTIRE month of May, if you book for 1 hour, and bring something I can donate to the shelter, you'll get an extra 30 minutes of playtime.  So, 90 minutes, basically for the 60 minute donation plus about $15 in items to donate to the critters. And, NO, you can't just give me the extra $15. This requires a little thought and effort on your part.  I've made a list below of the easiest things to pick up from regular stores, but I'll also put a link to the AAWL's donation wish list at the bottom if you want to do something else. 


Here are some suggestions that are easy, and around the $15 mark (give or take):


- 2 cases of Pedigree brand CANNED dog food (about $7.50/case at Wal-Mart)


- 32 count case of Friskies or  9Lives CANNED cat food (about $14 @ Wal-Mart) {they prefer the pate kind as opposed to the flaked/sliced meat type-it's easier for kittens to eat)


- 2 or 3 small pet beds ($5.99 each @ CVS or Walgreens)


- 2 or 3 big boxes of Milk-Bone dog biscuits (they keep these near the dog kennels so that visitors can give snacks to the dogs as they browse)


- 2 books of "Forever" stamps


- 2 big bags or boxes of cat litter


- A few of those 32oz bottles of hand sanitizer, usually around $4 per bottle (they go through that stuff like water since they have bottles of it every 1o feet around the shelter)


- A few bottles/boxes of laundry detergent (they don't specify a brand, but I'm thinking the "free and clear" varieties might be better in case an animal is sensitive to chemical dyes and fragrances)


They also need the following items, if you want to bring a few different things:  Bleach, Sharpie markers, 70% Rubbing alcohol, paper towels, paper plates, drawstring trash bags, pens, and copy paper.


http://aawl.org/wish-list  (this is their actual wish-list


In case anyone is wondering, when I drop off the items I collect in this manner, I don't take receipts to use for tax write-offs, or get any special recognition for large donations.  I always tell them that it was a group effort, not just me.  I'm merely the delivery person.  In other words, I don't benefit from this in any way except the good feeling I get knowing that  the shelter is getting the help it needs and so richly deserves.  


As I said, I compiled the above list because this is stuff that's easy for anyone to pick up, almost anywhere.  But, if you see other stuff on the wish-list that you want to get for them, go for it. I just ask that you try to keep it around the $15 mark at least (however, if you have the desire and means to do more, by all means go for it). 


If you're making an appointment with me and planning to do this, just let me know at the time of booking that you're asking for the May special for 90 minutes, so that I know to schedule the day accordingly.   These are for my solo sessions only since it wouldn't be cool of me to make this offer on anyone elses behalf. 


And, yes, I mentioned "challenge".  I usually end up taking a full truckload of items down there after my birthday party to drop off at their donation center.  This year? I want to make it 2 truckloads. Help me make it happen, guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment