Saturday, July 21, 2012

Time to give back

Originally posted 11-22-2011


I just got done with another very nice session. A boy who saw me a few weeks ago called me and said he'd been thinking about me a lot and wanted to see me again. He even gave me plenty of notice so I had time to finish my morning coffee and not have to rush rush rush in getting ready. So nice!

It's the holidays, and the universe or the powers that be (whatever form they take) have made sure that I've been taken care of, with all my needs met and then some. So, it's time to give back. Today I'm taking a couple turkeys to the St. Mary's Food Bank to donate, and after that, I'll be taking dog & cat food plus a few other items to the Arizona Animal Welfare League. This is the no-kill shelter that I adopted my dog and cat from last year. I donate to them pretty frequently, but try to double it around the holidays, when everyone forgets about the animal shelters and focuses on Christmas Angels, Food Banks, and other high-profile charities. And I'm not knocking any of them, just saying that people tend to focus on other things. Every year I pluck the name and wish of a little boy and a little girl from a Christmas tree set up in the mall or in a store and do some shopping for them, and I usually end up spending way too much money. Like the one a couple of years ago. The little girl just wanted a baby dolly. So, I got her a baby dolly with an accompanying suitcase of accessories. And a nightgown with matching robe. Then I figured she needed the slippers, too. And a Barbie Doll. And a pretty pink comforter. WIth a matching pillow that said "Princess". The little boy just wanted a soccer ball. So, I got him a soccer ball. And a football. And a baseball mitt (and a baseball, of course). And a new bike. Yeah, I go a little crazy. But, it's hard for me not to when I have more than I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment